Photo: The museum’s Churchill AVRE. The AVRE (Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineers) were Mk.III or IV tanks adapted to carry and support assault engineers in breaching heavy defences.
We take a photographic tour around some of the many British fighting vehicles and armour on show at the fabulous Imperial War Museum Duxford. Most of the vehicles are located in the superb Land Warfare Hall – see the IWM website for opening times, special events and more information. www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford
An A34 Comet tank (and Hawker Hurricane replica) on show at Duxford’s main gate.
The Land Warfare Hall is ‘guarded’ by an FV432 Armoured Personnel Carrier that has a Pearson Surface Clearance Device fitted. This example of the famous APC was constructed using parts from four different vehicles and is painted in 4 Field Squadron, 21 Engineering Regiment, markings.
‘Monty’s Tank’, a British M3A3 Grant. It was used by Lt Gen Montgomery during the Battle of El Alamein in October 1942.
A British A34 Comet tank in post World War Two markings inside the Land Warfare Hall. (All images taken by Nigel Price on September 30, 2019)
A Valentine Mk.III, displayed in a World War Two North Africa theatre diorama.
The Land Warfare Hall also has a World War Two-era 3.7in anti-aircraft gun on show.
A beautifully restored pre-World War Two Morris Commercial R-Type Truck in the Land Warfare Hall.
The museum’s Churchill AVRE. The AVRE (Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineers) were Mk.III or IV tanks adapted to carry and support assault engineers in breaching heavy defences.
The ‘landing craft’ entrance to the museum’s special D-Day display.
The GMC DUKW (Duck) amphibious truck. It could carry 2.5 tons of cargo, or up to 25 men from ship to shore.
British Chieftain Main Battle Tank Mk.6/4c. The Chieftain was used from the late 1960s but was replaced in front line service by the Challenger.